How much does assisted living cost?
Assisted living is for adults who want to live independently but may want help from time to time with daily activities such as housekeeping, getting to medical appointments, preparing meals, and managing medications.
Think of assisted living as “care that’s always there.” Look for assisted living communities that are staffed 24 hours a day, seven days a week year-round and offer the services and amenities that you want and need!
The short answer to the cost of assisted living is, “It depends.” Assisted living costs depend on a number of factors, such as level of care required, location, size, and miscellaneous amenities, which we’ll cover in the rest of this article. We’ll unpack the costs in this article, so you can understand what you get for the money at Senior Lifestyle’s assisted living communities.
Levels of care at assisted living
Typically an assisted living community will begin by meeting with you to understand your needs and create a plan to make sure your needs (and preferences) are met.
For example, Senior Lifestyle assisted living communities begin with a Personalized Service Plan. You meet with a nurse who helps you determine the services and care you need. The plan is adjusted based on your needs as they change.
Some examples of the types of services that go into plans:
- Medication management: Making sure you take your prescriptions on time, and you get them refilled and updated as your doctor prescribes.
- Dressing and bathing: Our professionally trained team can help you with activities of daily living such as getting dressed and basic grooming.
- Housekeeping and maintenance: The staff at assisted living facilities maintains common areas and buildings. If you prefer to have your home professionally cleaned, that will go into your Personalized Service Plan.
- Dining and dietary management: When you move into assisted living, you’re joining a community, and mealtime tends to be a favorite time among residents who live at Senior Lifestyle communities. Your Personal Service Plan will communicate to the executive chef any dietary limitations or goals.
As you schedule tours to visit assisted living communities, ask about the staff-to-resident ratio. You want a well-staffed community, so it’s important to understand what you get for the price, especially the number of licensed professionals who are on staff, such as nurses and other healthcare providers.
Location affects cost of living
What is the mantra among real estate agents? It’s all about location, location, location. It’s true for assisted living communities.
The average annual cost of assisted living in the United States is $48,000, according to Genworth’s Annual Cost of Care Report. The table below shows average annual costs for assisted living in states with Senior Lifestyle assisted living communities.
Within each state, as you know, costs of living vary — urban areas tend to cost more than rural areas, and costs of living are affected by housing costs, transportation costs, education, access to medical care, and costs of consumer goods such as food and clothing.
This table will give you an idea of how much your home state compares to other states. If you ever have questions or concerns about the costs of assisted living, you can find a representative by locating the Senior Lifestyle community nearest you.
|State||Average annual cost for a one-bedroom assisted living home||Average monthly cost|
|District of Columbia||$111,195||$9,266|
Use this calculator to compare the cost of assisted living with the cost of owning your own home. When you look at the cost of assisted living, keep in mind that your monthly cost covers:
- Association fees
- Lawn care and maintenance
- Home maintenance and repairs
- 24-hour security
- Social, recreational and cultural activities
- Health and fitness activities
- Daily life enrichment programs
So, total how much you currently pay for your independent living life — your gym membership, landscaper, cable TV bill, and utilities. Those are all included when you live in a Senior Lifestyle community.
Size and amenities that affect assisted living costs
Just like any house, apartment or condo, the size of the floor plan will affect the cost; the more square footage, the higher the cost. Most assisted living communities offer one- and two-bedroom options, and a few even offer Studio options.
Amenities are what makes senior living fun, and we at Senior Lifestyle love to talk about the amenities we offer for our residents.
- Meals are prepared daily by an executive chef and served restaurant-style by a professional service staff.
- Snacks are available all day, at your convenience and in line with dietary restrictions that you might have.
- Transportation services will take you to local shopping, medical appointments and local entertainment venues like the theater and museums.
Life Enrichment Programs are a hallmark of Senior Lifestyle communities. These programs are designed to exercise and entertain your mind and body, so you can live the best life possible. Examples of Life Enrichment include gardening, Brain Health University, technology classes and a good old-fashion happy hour.
Assisted living next steps
You may be considering several options for this next chapter of your life. Explore our assisted living options, and don’t hesitate to schedule a visit of a Senior Lifestyle property. Our team looks forward to meeting you, and they love to talk about our wonderful assisted living properties.