Senior residents love living in Lakewood Ranch, Florida, for its beautiful sunny days and warm weather all year round. Located in Manatee County in southwest Florida near Sarasota, this vibrant community has an abundance of local events, delicious restaurants and peaceful nature to explore.
The Sheridan at Lakewood Ranch is an assisted living community for seniors that provides the exact level of care residents need, while offering a variety of on-site activities to enjoy every day. From restaurant-style dining, to community spaces and engaging classes, there’s always something fun happening at The Sheridan at Lakewood Ranch. Here’s what a day in the life has to offer residents.
Fun Things for Seniors to Do in Lakewood Ranch, FL
Lakewood Ranch is a master-planned community, meaning it was created to provide residents with lots of options for things to enjoy right in town. It’s less than an hour’s drive away from Sarasota Bay, so residents who want to spend time by the bay can do so easily.
In town, there’s also live entertainment and attractions happening every day of the week. Some of the top landmarks for seniors to visit in Lakewood Ranch include the following.
- Lakewood Ranch Main Street: Main Street at Lakewood Ranch is the town’s hub for shopping and dining destinations. There are dozens of local businesses, including eclectic restaurants, beauty shops, fitness studios, home décor shops, a movie theater, a jewelry shop, miniature golf and specialty services. There are weekly events, including small business markets, classic car shows, free live concerts every Friday night from 6-9 p.m., walk and run races, annual parades and more. It’s a great place to go when you want delicious food, need to shop for a gift or want to see local entertainment on display and meet others in the community.
- Lakewood Ranch parks: Lakewood Ranch features a variety of parks and more than 150 miles of multiuse trails and bike paths. Check out the park calendar to find group fitness classes and sports leagues that take place in the parks. Stop by Heron’s Nest Nature Park to bird watch, walk a trail or fish or boat on Heron Lake or Summerfield Lake. Summerfield Community Park has three playgrounds, tennis courts, a basketball court, pickleball courts, a picnic pavilion and athletic fields. Waterside Park offers walking paths alongside Kingfisher Lake, as well as a splash park and event lawn. Bob Gardner Community Park features a dog park, nature trails, a frisbee golf course and a picnic pavilion. Braden River Nature Park has a catch and release fishing lake with bass. The Country Club at Edgewater Park includes tennis, pickleball and basketball courts, plus a picnic pavilion. Greenbrook Adventure Park has a dog park, nature trails and volleyball and basketball courts. James L. Patton Park surrounds Lake Patton, where visitors can fish, kayak, boat or canoe. There’s also Roger Hill Park, featuring nature trails and a relaxing pavilion.
- Sunday Farmers’ Markets: Each Sunday at Waterside Place in Lakewood Ranch, you can visit the Lakewood Ranch Farmers’ Market from 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Local vendors sell farm-fresh produce, meat and poultry, flowers, spices and condiments, baked goods and desserts, coffees and teas, as well as handmade artisan goods for humans and pets. Stop by to shop for a local gift, or take a free yoga in the park class at 9 a.m. every Sunday before the market opens.
- Ranch Nite Wednesdays: On Wednesday nights from 6-9 p.m., Ranch Nite Wednesdays at Waterside Place welcome a variety of food and dessert trucks, plus local vendors, live music and recreational cornhole. The event is dog-friendly and has plenty of seating to enjoy food and drinks from the trucks.
- Sarasota Polo: Every Sunday from January through April, the Sarasota Polo Club hosts horseback polo matches for public viewing. There are also several weeks of sunset polo happy hour events throughout the polo season. Visitors can cheer on their favorite team or player, enjoy watching the horses run around or simply take in the beautiful Florida weather in a lively atmosphere.
From laidback activities like dining and shopping, to exercising in the park or going for an active walk, Lakewood Ranch has plenty for residents to partake in. Plus, right at the Sheridan at Lakewood Ranch, there’s always a full schedule of activities for residents.
A Look at Assisted Living Programming Offered at Lakewood Ranch
The Sheridan at Lakewood Ranch helps residents cultivate healthy and strong minds, bodies and spirits. Each day, there’s a variety of resident programming available, in addition to three restaurant-style meals served in the dining areas and access to other resident amenities. A sample of some of the resident programming includes the following.
- Afternoon strolls
- Breathing exercises
- Cooking and baking classes
- Cornhole games
- Games, puzzles and cards
- Hand massages
- Jewelry making classes
- Live music
- Movie screenings
- Painting classes
- Pet therapy
- Resident birthday celebrations
- Seated group exercise classes
- Snack and chat groups
- Stress management classes
- Table games
- Taboo, Boggle, Jenga, Scattergories, Dominoes and board games
- Texas Hold’em
- Trivia games
- TV show viewings
- Walking club
The Sheridan at Lakewood Ranch also provides residents with transportation and offers group outings, like shopping trips, garden center outings and restaurant outings.
At home, residents can use the exercise gym and fitness studio, entertainment and great rooms, barber and beauty salon, creative art studio, putting green, patio and courtyard. There’s also a dog park right at our pet-friendly, resort-style community.
Visit the Sheridan at Lakewood Ranch for Yourself or a Loved One
Lakewood Ranch is a top Florida lifestyle community for its variety of amenities, attractions, nature and entertainment options. If you’d like to see what life at Lakewood Ranch is like, stop in for a tour of The Sheridan at Lakewood Ranch.