Walden Place sits in the beautiful college town in New York’s Southern Tier. Walden Place Assisted Living in Cortland, NY, provides seniors with a safe and supportive place to live and connect with others, with daily activities and professional assistance on housekeeping, transportation and more.
Learn more about the peaceful and vibrant atmosphere of New York state that enables seniors to live their best lives, while getting the professional support they need at Walden Place in Cortland, NY.
Fun Things for Seniors to Do in Cortland, NY
Known as the “Crown City” because of its location formed by seven valleys converging onto a plain, Cortland is considered the incorporated city closest to New York’s geographic center. Cortland is also home to the State University of New York at Cortland.
Here are some things for seniors to do by themselves and their families while they reside at Walden Place.
- CNY Living History Center – This unusual center connects three different museums, bringing together the history of the area. The CNY Living History Center joins together The Brockway Truck Preservation Association, the Homeville Museum and Tractors of Yesteryear. Other collections are included within the center on a rotating basis.
- Kellogg Memorial Research Center and Suggett House Museum – Run by the Cortland County Historical Society, both of these sites focus on local history. The Kellogg Memorial Research Center offers resources for genealogy and local history research. The Suggett House Museum is full of local artifacts that tell the story of Cortland and the surrounding area.
- Lime Hollow Nature Center – The Lime Hollow Nature Center provides year-round education and recreation with an emphasis on the environment and conservation. The nature preserve was created to protect an unusual grouping of marl ponds, a peat bog, and kame-and-kettle topography along an abandoned railroad right of way.
- Shipwreck Amusements – Fun for kids and adults too, Shipwreck Amusements features outdoor mini golf, indoor blacklight mini golf, paintball target shooting and more. A souvenir store and Capt’n Jacks Ice Cream Shack round out the offerings for all family members.
- The 1890 House Museum – This museum was designed by architect Samuel B. Reed and built as a house in 1890 for industrialist Chester F. Wickwire. The 1890 House Museum now offers tours and monthly educational programs and special events that shine a light on the Victorian age and the lives of the Wickwire Family.
- Trinity Valley Dairy – This old-fashioned dairy is a delight for residents and visitors alike. The Trinity Valley Dairy is a real working family dairy with hands-on tours and seasonal events, such as a corn maze and hayrides during the autumn. The attached store features farm fresh milk bottled, delicious baked goods and fresh, locally grown products.
Cortland is filled with history and museums but also surrounded by the beauty of New York, with the Finger Lakes region once home to the Iroquois, halfway between Syracuse and Binghamton.
A Look at Assisted Living Programming Offered at Walden Place
In addition to excursions and attractions off-site from Walden Place, the Cortland location has programming on-site every day for residents, plus an on-site spa for relaxing and a library. You can walk a few steps away from your home and enjoy a delectable meal, socialize with other residents, play games or do a whole host of other activities. Below is just a sampling of what we offer.
- Aerobic workouts
- Anagrams games
- Artist talks
- Bingo games
- Blackjack and poker card games
- Book clubs
- Canasta card games
- Chair exercise classes
- Cocktail happy hours
- Comedy shows
- Dominos competitions
- Educational lectures
- Floral arrangement crafts
- Group talks
- Live music concerts
- Movie screenings
- Painting classes
- Resident council meetings
- Storytelling presentations
- Trivia competitions
- TV screenings
- Yoga classes
Plus, we also offer off-site transportation for shopping trips and local outings. If you need church transportation or a ride to the doctor, we provide transportation for that, too.
Every day, guests can take part in elevated dining experiences. Chef-prepared meals offer something delicious to enjoy all throughout the day, while residents can socialize in our spacious and welcoming dining rooms or bistro.
See What Life Is Like at Walden Place
Walden Place is an amazing place to live out your golden years, with so many things to do, delicious food and beverages, and all the amenities you could want from a residence. Our assisted living services enable residents to live the life they want, while getting the support they need. We also offer memory care services, depending on residents’ needs.
Pets are welcome, too. We have a variety of floor plans available for singles or couple residents. Find out more about Senior Lifestyle, or schedule a tour today.