Levittown, PA, is one of the largest suburbs of Philadelphia, with more than 40 neighborhoods spanning four municipalities in Bucks County. It’s located around 25 miles from the big city of Philadelphia and offers a welcoming community for those who want a relaxed lifestyle.
Around 50,000 people call Levittown home. From heading into Philadelphia to visit nationally lauded museums and landmarks, to having a good time right in town, the following are some fun things for seniors to do in the Levittown area.
1. Play Tennis at Frosty Hollow Tennis Center
Frosty Hollow Tennis Center in Levittown includes 10 tennis courts, six of which are lighted for nighttime play, as well as a practice wall. The tennis center hosts several adult leagues for varying tennis playing ability. There are also instructional programs to learn the game, no matter what type of experience you have.
2. Have a German Meal at Newportville Inn
One of the premiere dining destinations in Levittown is the Newportville Inn, which calls itself an “American tavern with a German accent.” The restaurant is known for its spacious patio and unique tavern interior. The menu features German-inspired dishes like German-style jumbo pretzels, sauerkraut bites with corned beef, German mac and cheese, bratwurst, schnitzel, and German meatballs.
The tavern also has an extensive beer collection, serving more than 80 different types each year, including many German specialties. Diners can purchase a growler and the restaurant’s special Opa’s Mustard to take home.
3. Visit a Park in Falls Township
Falls Township includes more than a dozen parks, several of which are right in Levittown. You can view the township’s parks amenities chart to find addresses and amenities of Levittown parks, including:
- Elderberry Park, 4 Exit Lane: parking lot, walking and biking trails, playground, basketball court, open space and benches
- Community Park, 9125 Mill Creek Road: field/equipment lighting, parking lot, watercraft rentals, fishing, walking and biking trails, picnic tables, barbecue grills, boat ramp/water access, multipurpose sports fields, playground, restroom facilities, basketball court, volleyball court, roller hockey court, bocce court, softball field, open space, skateboard park, gazebo rentals, benches, sledding and pavilion rentals, and dog park
- Franklin Kirby Park, 22 Vermilion Way: field/equipment lighting, parking, walking and biking trails, picnic tables, playground, basketball court, open space and benches
- Mill Creek Manor Park, 9050 Lynn Ave.: picnic tables, playground, open space and benches
- New Pond Park, 28 Nasturtium Lane: multipurpose sports fields, playground, basketball court, open space and benches
- Vermillion Hills Tot Lot, 171 Vermillion Drive: parking lot, playground and benches
- Pinewood Pool, 1 Pine Lake Park: field/equipment lighting, parking lot, picnic tables, playground, restroom facilities, swimming pool, benches and pavilion rentals
- Trenton Road Park, 143 Village Lane: walking and biking trails and open space
Whether you want to splash around in the water at Pinewood Pool, see some pups at the Community Park dog park, or relax on one of the township’s many benches in open spaces, there are lots of green spaces throughout the Levittown area.
4. Play a Game of Golf
The Levittown area is home to several beautiful golf courses for lovers of the game and for those who want to set up golf instruction to learn. Levittown area golf courses include:
- Bridge Street Golf at Snipes Farm: If you’ve never played golf, or you’re in need of some practice, Bridge Street Golf at Snipes Farm is a great place to visit. The venue includes a 300-yard-long driving range with targets and bullseyes, an 18-hole Pitch & Putt course with holes up to 65 yards long and two miniature golf courses. It’s a stress-free way to practice both long and short games in a relaxed environment.
- Makefield Highlands: This 18-hole public golf course offers senior discounts for both nine- and 18-hole play. Enjoy the rolling fairways and a tasty meal at the clubhouse after your game.
- Oxford Valley Golf Course: This public 9-hole, walking-only golf course offers pull carts and power caddies for rental. It’s an enjoyable, no-pressure course to learn on, where you can practice your swing and complete an inexpensive game in fewer than a couple hours.
When the weather’s nice, and you want to be outside, Levittown golf courses give you a chance to play in nature and get some low-impact exercise.
5. Take a Day Trip to Philadelphia
Philadelphia is just around a 40-minute drive from Levittown, so Levittown residents can cruise south to the City of Brotherly Love to see some of the state’s best attractions. Some of the top sites to visit in Philadelphia include:
- The Liberty Bell, which rang to summon Philadelphia citizens to hear the first public reading of the Declaration of Independence
- Independence Hall, a UNESCO World Heritage site, where the Declaration of Independence was signed
- The Rocky Statue and steps, featured in the 1976 film “Rocky”
- Philadelphia Museum of Art, which features an extensive collection of historical American art, as well as contemporary art and art from throughout Europe and Asia
- Reading Terminal Market, an indoor farmer’s market featuring more than 80 vendors selling fresh food, flowers and plants, arts and crafts, and specialty items
- The Academy of Natural Sciences of Drexel University, a science-based museum where visitors can learn more about the evolution of humans, animals, dinosaurs and other interesting creatures and ecosystems
When you live in Levittown, you have close access to all the attractions Philadelphia has to offer. From world-class dining, to historical landmarks that draw visitors from around the globe, it’s easy to pursue your interests when you live in Levittown.
Experience Life in Levittown at Woodbourne Place
Levittown is also home to Woodbourne Place, a senior lifestyle community that offers 24/7 personal care services. At Woodbourne Place, residents can pursue active and independent lifestyles, with daily programming offered through the social and recreational program. Residents can also participate in community outings, visit an activity room or lounge, relax in the outdoor courtyard and visit the hair salon.
This pet-friendly community also offers residents up to three chef-prepared meals a day in the spacious dining room, as well as provides housekeeping and transportation services. To learn more about Woodbourne Place in Levittown, find out more about Senior Lifestyle, or schedule a tour today.