Choosing the right senior living option for yourself or a loved one is a major life decision. The choice will affect quality of life, finances, and likely health and longevity.
There are several levels of care provided by retirement communities, from Independent Living for active seniors, to Assisted Living for those that need a little more assistance with daily living activities, to Memory Care for those living with memory loss, dementia, or Alzheimer’s disease. You can also choose from short-term care, rehabilitation services, adult day care and respite care, which offers some relief for caregivers and a caring environment for their loved one. It’s important to know what you should look for and what a typical retirement community provides for its residents.
Watch our video for more information on what’s included in a retirement community:
What Are Retirement Communities?
Almost 48 million seniors live in the United States, the U.S. Census Bureau says, and around a million of those live in senior living communities. The number of seniors is expected to grow to 78 million by 2035, because today’s seniors live longer, healthier, and more active lives, paired with innovations in healthcare.
There are several reasons to make this choice. Retirement communities can provide seniors with the opportunity to:
- Consolidate your expenses
- Eat well
- Engage in a vibrant social life
- Experience safety and security
- Get in shape and say that way
- Grow, learn and travel
- Have a low-maintenance life
- Live in an upscale setting
- Make use of transportation
- Receive personal care services
Senior Lifestyle Option Quiz
No two older adults have the same wants and needs. With so many different options, it can be hard to determine which level of care is the best fit. Take our personalized Level of Care Quiz to find out the best level of care for you or you loved one’s needs.Take the Quiz
What Kind of Amenities Are Available in a Retirement Community?
The types of amenities in retirement communities may vary depending on the level of care you or your loved one needs. In general, retirement communities will provide:
- Housekeeping – Daily tidying and weekly housekeeping takes away chores and upkeep.
- Laundry services – This means no time wasted washing, drying and folding.
- Meal services – Restaurant-style dining may be featured, sometimes with three daily meals, meaning no grocery shopping, cooking or washing dishes.
- Medical care – In some locations, nurses are available 24/7 to help.
- Social activities – Among the available activities are acting classes, cooking classes, gardening activities, happy hours, outings, social programming and special events.
- Transportation – Drivers are available to help residents run errands, get to appointments, participate in activities and take part in social outings.
- Utilities – Phone, cable TV, electrical, gas, water and sewage are part of your service.
- Wellness programs – Residents will have opportunities to take yoga, water aerobics or even virtual Wii sports.
Connect with a Retirement Community Today
At Senior Lifestyle, you’ll find a full range of lifestyle options that simplify your search for retirement communities. We offer several options, all of which provide the vibrant activities, social settings and welcoming spaces residents can expect to help them enjoy their days better. Discover the full range of options we offer and get more retirement community information. Reach out to a community near you today to get started.