Oak Brook, Illinois, is known to many as one of the state’s best neighborhoods. Located around 20 miles away from Chicago, the village of Oak Brook is a welcoming and peaceful community with lots to do in town and in the big city close by. At The Sheridan at Oak Brook independent living community, residents can participate in a variety of daily activities right at the residence, or explore the village and city away from home.
The Sheridan at Oak Brook is a premier residence for seniors. In addition to Independent Living residences, there are also Assisted Living, Memory Care and respite stay options available. Residents can live in a safe and secure environment, get access to the exact care they need and connect with other community members during dynamic programming activities offered on-site.
Here’s a look at what a day in the life at The Sheridan at Oak Brook can look like for Independent Living residents.
Fun Things for Seniors to Do in Oak Brook, IL
Life in Oak Brook provides lots of options for senior residents. You can drive to nearby Chicago for world-class entertainment, comedy, dining and sporting events. Right in town, there are also lots of interesting destinations and things to explore, like the following.
- Mayslake Peabody Estate: The Mayslake Peabody Estate includes the 1919-designed Tudor Revival-style Mayslake Hall mansion. Mayslake Hall sits on the National Register of Historic Places and is a community space that hosts history, arts and cultural events throughout the year. Visitors can tour Mayslake Hall to learn about early 20th-century life at the estate, as well as life in the surrounding area. Events include gardening lectures, volunteer restoration workdays, guided forest hikes and farmhouse tours. There’s also spring trout fishing available for those with licenses. The estate also includes the Portiuncula Chapel, available for special events like weddings and memorial services.
- Lizzadro Museum of Lapidary Art: The Lizzadro Museum of Lapidary Art contains an extensive collection of antiques and gemstones, as well as modern art and earth science exhibits. Diverse collections include mosaics, dioramas, jade carvings, cameos, organic gems, rocks, minerals and fossils. In addition to hosting exhibits and displays, the museum presents live concerts, storytelling events, craft workshops, art lectures and other special events.
- Oakbrook Center: Oakbrook Center is one of the largest outdoor malls in the Midwest, with nearly 200 destinations, including department stores, electronics and entertainment stores, home and housewares shops, and luxury goods and clothing stores. There are also 40 restaurants and a movie theater, as well as live events that make this a prominent Oak Brook destination. Check out the calendar for special events like artisan markets and classic car shows.
- Oak Brook Polo Club: The Oak Brook Polo Club attracts global polo lovers, as it’s one of the oldest polo clubs in the United States, founded in 1922. The club hosts summer and fall matches each Sunday, taking place at locations like the historic Cecil Smith Field, near other prominent Oak Brook destinations like the Butler National Golf Club and the Oak Brook Bath & Tennis Club.
- Graue Mill and Museum: The Graue Mill and Museum is an operating water wheel grist mill that’s on the National Register of Historic Places. The site presents living history on-site demonstrations on milling, spinning and weaving that depict life from the 1850s to 1890s. Visitors can learn about grinding and mill operation, see a farmer’s workshop, learn at an Underground Railroad exhibit and visit a general store, Victorian parlor, pioneer kitchen and child’s bedroom. There’s also a museum shop selling homemade goods including gifts, toys, jams and jellies.
Nature lovers also have plenty to explore in Oak Brook. The Fullersburg Woods Nature Education Center near the Graue Mill and Museum presents nature-focused programming and activities. It’s surrounded by the Fullersburg Woods Forest Preserve, which features hiking and walking trails and boating, fishing and picnic access.
From learning about history, to partaking in fine dining and shopping, to exploring nature, there’s lots to do in the Oak Brook community.
A Look at Independent Living Programming Offered at Oak Brook
Life at the Sheridan at Oak Brook residence offers tons to do, as well. The independent living calendar is packed with daily activities that enable residents to pursue interests like culture and the arts, leadership and volunteerism, lectures and learning, recreation and entertainment, spiritual health and religion, strength and vitality, and travel. The following is just a sample of the many diverse activities the Sheridan at Oak Brook offers.
- Arts and crafts classes
- Balance classes
- Blood pressure clinics
- Build your own charcuterie board and wine pairings
- Casino nights
- Chair exercise classes
- Coffee and chat groups
- Community meetings
- Cookie sales
- Cooking classes
- Corn hole
- Family Feud and Jeopardy games
- Happy hours
- Heart health classes
- Ice cream sundae bars
- Live dance and music performances
- Movie screenings
- Pet therapy
- Poker nights
- Reading club
- Resident council
- Technology classes
Residents at the Sheridan at Oak Brook can also enjoy restaurant-style dining right at home, as well as use the exercise gym, rehabilitation gym, creative art studio, movie theater, cards room, outdoor patio area, spacious community rooms and services at the beauty salon and barbershop.
Residents can also join group outings to nearby shops and restaurants. Whatever you’re interested in, you can find it living at the Sheridan at Oak Brook.
See What The Sheridan at Oak Brook Community Offers
Live life stress-free at The Sheridan at Oak Brook. Our independent living community provides everything residents need, including scheduled transportation, housekeeping and linen service, and all maintenance taken care of. You can have fun right at home, or head out in Oak Creek or to nearby Chicago for other world-class attractions.
To see what life is like at the Sheridan at Oak Brook, we invite you to visit our community and tour our welcoming spaces. Find out more about Senior Lifestyle, or schedule a tour today.