Lake Barrington Woods offers independent living in the Chicago area in our welcoming 55+ community. Located less than 40 miles away from Chicago, this Senior Lifestyle community in Lake Barrington, Illinois, offers amazing dining, an indoor pool, an exercise center, an arts center, a library and so much more.
There’s daily programming to explore, as well as lots to do in the surrounding area. Find out more about independent living in the Chicago area.
Fun Things for Seniors to Do in Chicago & Lake Barrington
As the third-most populous city in the United States, Chicago has just about every type of amenity and attraction you could want. Chicago is considered one of the comedy capitals of the world, home to the famed Second City sketch and improv theater, as well as numerous stand-up and improv theaters throughout the city. Chicago also boasts world-class museums, like the Art Institute of Chicago, the Museum of Science + Industry and the Field Museum.
Plus, there are major sports teams in football, basketball, hockey, soccer and baseball, as well as famed restaurants serving up classic Chicago-style pizza and other local fare. From theater performances to the breathtaking 360 CHICAGO Observation Deck, there’s tons to explore throughout Chicago.
Lake Barrington also has lots of attractions close to the independent living community. They include the following destinations.
- Makray Memorial Golf Club: If you enjoy golfing, check out the Barrington golf course Makray Memorial Golf Club. The 18-hole, championship-caliber course has four sets of tees per hole and lots of challenging hazards, including water, bunkers and blue grass roughs. Grab a drink or a bite in the 24,000-square foot clubhouse and enjoy the golf course views full of trees and lakes.
- Citizens Park: Citizens Park is a 45-acre park in Barrington that has walking, running and biking trails, a waterfall and lots of relaxing spots to sit down and take in nature. The park is also home to an ice rink, tennis courts, a basketball court, a treehouse and an amphitheater. It’s a great place for a picnic and for taking your pet out on a walk.
- Scull and Oars: Scull and Oars in nearby Wonder Lake, Illinois, provides canoe and kayak rentals, fishing and scenic tour guide service, and more in this beautiful water-filled area. You can book a four-hour tour from Keystone landing in Richmond, Illinois, through a 7-mile route that goes through Glacial Park. Or, you can rent lake paddles and canoes by the hour to enjoy a peaceful ride on various local lakes. There are also overnight kayak camping trips available.
- Clay Monet: Clay Monet in nearby Lake Zurich, Illinois, is a relaxing paint-your-own pottery art studio. Choose your piece(s), then paint away. The studio will fire your artwork so it’s glazed and ready for display. You can also throw your own clay on the wheel or sculpt a unique creation in the studio. It’s the perfect place to take grandkids who are in town when you want to do a fun activity together.
- Grassy Lake: This relaxing Lake Barrington preserve has nearly 700 acres of space, filled with mature oak woodlands, rolling hills, marshes and moraines. There are 5.6 miles of mowed grass and gravel trails that provide access to Fox River banks. As you explore, you’ll find six overlooks with views of Grassy Lake and the Fox River Valley. Seasonal activities include cross-country skiing, hiking and biking. There are also off-leash dog parks available to those with a permit.
The Lake Barrington area also has tasty restaurants, cocktails and a distillery, and a farmer’s market. With close proximity to Chicago, whatever you want to do, you’re usually within just an hour’s drive to get there.
A Look at Independent Living Programming at Lake Barrington Woods
The Lake Barrington Woods community provides residents with lots of engaging activities every day. Programming tracks include culture and the arts, leadership and volunteerism, lectures and learning, movement and mindfulness, spiritual health and religion, recreation and entertainment. Residents enjoy programming like the following in our Be Fit Lounge, Club Room, Courtyard, Creative Studio, Entertainment Room, Quiet Room and Sun Room.
- Art studio and painting classes
- Bingo games with prizes
- Book clubs
- Card games
- Cardio exercise classes
- Cocktail happy hours
- Fitness center activities
- Ice cream socials
- Indoor swimming
- Knitting clubs
- Library time by fireside
- Mindfulness meditation
- Nintendo Wii games
- On-site church services
- Pet therapy
- Piano playing and live music performances
- Pond and nature excursions
- Sports pub socializing
- Technology assistance classes
Dining is also a major attraction at Lake Barrington Woods, with chef-prepared food for each meal in our upscale dining room, with restaurant-style service. Residents can also get room service delivered straight to their door. We also have a private dining room for residents who want to celebrate birthdays and special occasions.
Whether you love quiet hobbies like reading and crafts, or you want to socialize at happy hour or in a friendly competition, we have plenty of activities each day for residents to grow individually and to connect with others.
We also offer transportation services, so if you don’t drive but want to check out Lake Barrington and the surrounding area, we can provide assistance.
Live Your Best Life at Lake Barrington Woods
Many seniors and their families choose Lake Barrington Woods as a place to retire and get pleasure out of each day. There’s always something new to explore in the Lake Barrington Woods programming schedule. Our community offers independent living with high-end dining, transportation and housekeeping services, so you can relish life without worrying about the little things.