Turmeric is one of India’s most beloved spices, and in America we know it as one of the main ingredients found in curry dishes, as well as the secret to mustard’s bright yellow color. But in addition to being delicious, turmeric is also full of amazingly healthful properties. Studies upon studies have shown that turmeric can greatly reduce the effects of Alzheimer’s, and that it is chock-full of anti-inflammatory elements that can noticeably help soothe pain associated with arthritis.
Turmeric is easy to incorporate into your diet. There are lots of ways to get a daily dose of turmeric, far beyond standard curry fare. You can add turmeric to almost any meal, and many people use it in creative ways, like sprinkling it on their popcorn or incorporating it into dessert recipes.
Here are some fun, easy recipes that feature turmeric. Even if you’re not personally affected with Alzheimer’s or arthritis, turmeric’s health benefits go far and beyond, and you’ll really miss out if you don’t try at least one of these dishes.
Egg Salad Sandwich with Spinach, Turmeric & Smoked Paprika
From The Musician Who Cooks (Link: http://themusicianwhocooks.blogspot.com/2012/10/egg-salad-sandwich-with-spinach.html)
• 4 large eggs, hard boiled
• 1/4 cup garlic mayonnaise
• 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
• 1 teaspoon ground sweet smoked paprika
• 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
• 1 cup lightly packed baby spinach
• optional: tarragon oil
1. Hard boil the eggs; when finished cooking, chill for several minutes in a bowl of ice water. Peel the eggs and dice finely, then put into a medium bowl.
2. Remove any stems from the spinach leaves and dice finely. Scatter spinach over the eggs in the bowl. 3. Put the garlic mayonnaise into another small bowl and stir in the turmeric, smoked paprika and salt until well-blended.
4. Scoop the mayonnaise mixture into the medium bowl with the eggs and spinach. Mix together until eggs and spinach are well-coated and well-blended. Alternatively, you can put the eggs, spinach and mayo mixture in a small food processor and pulse very briefly until you reach the consistency you like.
5. Drizzle a bit of tarragon or other herbal oil on slices of whole grain bread, then scoop the amount of egg salad you want onto the bottom slice. Top with the other slices and serve.
Curry Sweet Potato Fries
From Joy the Baker (Link: http://joythebaker.com/2011/03/baked-curry-sweet-potato-fries/)
• 1 plump sweet potato/yam/orange-fleshed potato, peeled
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 1 large egg white
• 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
• 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
• 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
• 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
• 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
• Yogurt Sauce:
• 1/3 cup Greet yogurt
• 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
• 1 teaspoon olive oil
• salt to taste
1. Place a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 400 degrees F.
2. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
3. Peel sweet potato and slice off the top and bottom points of the potato. With potato positioned north to south, use a large knife to slice potato into 1/3-inch potato planks. Stack planks in two piles, and slice, north to south, into 1/3-inch sticks.
4. Place potato sticks onto prepared baking sheet and toss with olive oil. Set aside.
5. In a medium bowl, whisk egg white until foamy and frothy. Add curry powder, cumin, turmeric, and crushed red pepper flakes and whisk to incorporate. Pour the egg white mixture over the potato sticks and gentle toss to coat the potatoes.
6. Place in the oven and bake to desired doneness and crispiness, my fries took about 40 minutes. While the fries bake, stir together yogurt, cumin, olive oil and salt. Place in a small serving dish.
7. Remove fries from the oven and serve immediately with dipping sauce.
Creamy Turmeric Tea
From Dr. Oz (http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/dr-sanjay-guptas-calming-creamy-turmeric-tea)
• 1 cup almond milk
• 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
• 1 teaspoon cinnamon
• 1 teaspoon honey
• 1/4 teaspoon ginger
1. Heat the almond milk in a microwave, stir in the spices and drizzle the honey on top. Enjoy!
Turmeric Chicken Stir-Fry
From Tablespoon (Link: http://www.tablespoon.com/recipes/turmeric-chicken-and-broccoli-stir-fry-recipe/2/)
• 1 pound chicken
• 1 large head broccoli
• 1 onion
• 5 cloves garlic
• 2 inches ginger
• 1 heaping tablespoon turmeric
• 1 teaspoon cumin
• 1/2 teaspoon chile powder
• 2 tablespoons butter
• 1 lemon
1. Slice the onions into strips. Slice the chicken also into strips. Cut the broccoli into bite size chunks. Mince the garlic and ginger together into one chunky paste.
2. Saute the onions in the butter until softened. 5 minutes.
3. Add the Ginger and Garlic Paste. Cook 1 minute. Add the Spices. Cook 1 minute
4. Add the chicken and broccoli and cook until the chicken is no longer pink in the center and the broccoli has reached your desired texture. Add the juice from the lemon and mix.
5. Serve over rice.
Spiced Nuts and Frozen Yogurt
From Oprah (link: http://www.oprah.com/food/Frozen-Yogurt-Sundae-with-Spiced-Nuts)
This recipe makes savory spiced nuts that can be paired wonderfully with ice cream or frozen yogurt for a turmeric-packed dessert. Oprah also recommends making a berry sauce to accompany the nuts.
• 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
• 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
• 1/2 teaspoon black peppercorns
• 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
• 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
• 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard seed
• 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
• 2 cups raw mixed nuts , such as walnuts, almonds, pecans, and cashews
• 1/4 cup corn syrup
• 1 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
• 1 teaspoon sea salt
1. Combine whole spices in a medium skillet over medium-low heat. Cook, shaking often, 2 to 3 minutes.
2. Transfer to a bowl to cool completely, then grind to a fine powder using a spice grinder or a mortar and pestle. Add remaining spices, and mix well.
3. Preheat oven to 350°, and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Place nuts in a medium bowl. Add corn syrup; toss well to coat. Mix in ground spices, orange zest, and sea salt; toss to evenly coat nuts.
4. Spread nuts on baking sheets, and roast in oven until corn syrup is bubbly, 15 to 20 minutes. Cool completely.
5. Enjoy with vanilla frozen yogurt or ice cream.