Located just a little more than 10 miles from Chicago, River Forest in Illinois is a beautiful village filled with historical landmarks. The Sheridan at River Forest assisted living community in Illinois gives seniors a safe and comfortable place to call home, with a convenient location that provides access to town amenities and lots to do right at the community.
From restaurant-style meals, to activities that enable residents to pursue their hobbies and interests, here’s what a day in the life at the Sheridan at River Forest might look like for seniors.
Fun Things for Seniors to Do in River Forest, IL
River Forest is located near Dominican University and Concordia University Chicago. The village has a small-town charm with plenty to do, with lots of tasty restaurants, interesting culture and relaxing nature to explore. It’s around a half-hour’s drive to Chicago, giving residents even more options for arts and entertainment to check out nearby. The following are some of the best things for seniors to do in River Forest.
- Trailside Museum of Natural History: The Trailside Museum of Natural History in River Forest is a peaceful spot for nature lovers to enjoy. The museum contains exhibits on local wildlife and habitats. It also features wildflower gardens and nearly 5 miles of unpaved walking trails heading out from the museum that wind through the Thatcher Woods floodplain woodlands. The museum frequently hosts events for the community, such as wildlife talks, bird and nature walks, painting and sketching workshops, and live animal feedings. Visitors can also fish at the 1.5-acre Thatcher Pond next to the museum.
- Downtown Oak Park: Downtown Oak Park, less than a mile away from the Sheridan at River Forest, is the best place to go to find an abundance of centrally located shops, restaurants and attractions in the area. The central business district includes a movie theater, dozens of diverse restaurants, local specialty shops and major retailers, beauty shops and salons, and a live performance theater. The district also hosts a summer Thursday Night Out series, featuring dining specials and live entertainment. Other seasonal events include outdoor shopping sales, microbrew and “Oaktoberfest” events, holiday markets and health and wellness fairs.
- Frank Lloyd Wright Home and Studio: Located less than a mile away from the Sheridan at River Forest, the Frank Lloyd Wright Home and Studio is a popular destination for those interested in historic architecture. Visitors can take an indoor/outdoor guided tour of the famed architect’s home and surrounding historic neighborhood, which contains the largest collection of buildings designed by Frank Lloyd Wright, with 21 Wright-designed buildings. There are also special events, such as tours that take visitors inside private residences designed by Wright and his contemporaries.
- Oak Park Conservatory: Also in nearby Oak Park, the Oak Park Conservatory is free for public visitors who want to relax surrounded by nature. The peaceful destination includes a Mediterranean room, a tropical room, a desert room, an enclosed outdoor garden and other plant-filled areas. Stop by to wander around, or book a guided tour. The conservatory also hosts community events, such as an annual spring plant sale, nature and gardening classes, crafting classes and free gardening lectures.
- Pleasant Home: The Pleasant Home in Oak Park is another historic landmark, with stunning architecture on the 4-acre, 30-room estate designed in 1897. Visitors can take a guided tour to learn about the Prairie-style home architecture, or wander around the property on a free self-guided tour. Check out the home’s events calendar to find events like author series talks and tea services.
The River Forest area is also close to an extensive parks and recreation system, with more than a dozen community parks, plus two ice rinks. A short drive to Chicago offers professional sports, nationally renowned improv comedy and sketch comedy performances, big concert venues and more attractions. River Forest offers close proximity to big city life, with a quiet location in culture- and history-filled neighborhoods.
A Look at Assisted Living Programming Offered at River Forest
For assisted living residents at the Sheridan at River Forest, there’s lots to do right at home, too. Every day, there are diverse activities residents can participate in, designed to help residents cultivate healthy minds, bodies and spirits. Some of the sample activities residents can join in at the Sheridan at River Forest include the following.
- Bean bag toss and horseshoes
- Board game parties
- Brain games
- Chair exercise classes
- Cooking classes
- Create, make and donate crafts groups
- Crossword and puzzle club
- Happy hours
- Movie nights
- News and views discussions
- Poetry groups
- Singing clubs
- Sip and paint classes
- Spirituality gatherings
- Strength training circuits
- Stretch and flex classes
- Sundae socials
- Tea parties
- Trivia competitions
- TV screenings
- Uno card games
- Walking club
- Yoga classes
From morning to night, there’s always a packed schedule of activities for residents to choose from. Residents can also use the spacious community rooms with TVs and DVDs, as well as the art center, cards room, fitness room and rehabilitation gym, business center and internet lounge.
There’s also a beauty and barber shop at the residence, as well as beautiful outdoor spaces, including a patio area. Each day, residents can enjoy three chef-prepared meals with restaurant-style service in the main dining room, or reserve the private dining room for special gatherings.
The Sheridan at River Forest also provides residents with transportation and hosts group outings, like shopping trips. Residents have everything they need right at home, plus plenty to do in River Forest, Oak Park and nearby Chicago.
Visit the Sheridan at River Forest to Tour the Community
We invite you and your loved ones to tour The Sheridan at River Forest to see what life is like at our senior community. In addition to assisted living services, we also provide memory care services in our pet-friendly residence. All residents have access to 24-hour nursing staff, as well as health and wellness monitoring.