Lake Bluff, Illinois, is a charming village that’s around 35 miles away from the big city of Chicago. This tight-knit community offers a relaxing lifestyle, with beach access, shopping and restaurants to keep residents busy. The Sheridan at Green Oaks is a vibrant senior community, providing Independent Living, Assisted Living, Memory Care and short-term care services.
Our Independent Living residents enjoy the beauty of Lake Bluff and have lots of activities to do right at the community. Here’s what a day in the life of Independent Living at The Sheridan at Green Oaks might look like.
Fun Things for Seniors to Do in Lake Bluff, IL
The village of Lake Bluff is all about supporting its community. With a population of just more than 5,500 in 2021, according to the U.S. Census Bureau, the village provides ample opportunities to get to know other community members and enjoy local resources and recreation. Some of the top things for seniors to do in Lake Bluff include the following.
- Sunrise Park & Beach: Sunrise Park & Beach includes two guarded swimming beaches, including one dog beach, with swimming available morning to night when the water’s safe for swimming. It also features play equipment, two shelters with fireplaces, charcoal grills, and complimentary games and beach chairs. The beaches regularly feature community events like beachside yoga classes. It’s always a nice spot to visit when you want to relax by the water.
- Lake Bluff Public Library: The Lake Bluff Public Library is a great community resource for books, research materials and educational opportunities. Visit the library to check out a book or media material, sit and read in a quiet area, or attend a lecture. The library presents events most days, including historical lectures, book clubs, gardening clubs, chess clubs, adult “crafternoons,” open art nights and tea social groups. Also, check out the library calendar to find library-sponsored, off-site events, like trivia nights at a local brewery.
- Lake Bluff parks and recreation: The Lake Bluff Park District supports a network of local green spaces and recreation opportunities for residents, including Knollwood Park, Sanctuary Park, a natural wetlands preserve, walking paths at Belle Foret Prairie, Ravine Park and Mawman Park. The Lake Bluff Golf Club is a disability-friendly golf course with various obstacles and golf course designs, and features the Lake Bluff Grill restaurant. Blair Park Pool opens for the summer and includes umbrella shade areas and three diving boards. The Lake Bluff Fitness Center presents group fitness classes, wellness and yoga programs, and personal training, in addition to fitness facilities. There are also platform tennis courts and a paddle hut and the Artesian Park outdoor ice rink. Seniors can check out recreation programs like pickleball and tennis leagues, as well as special events, like color runs.
- Lake Bluff Farmers Market: From June through October, the Lake Bluff Farmers Market takes place each Friday from 7 a.m. to noon at the Lake Bluff Village Green. Shoppers can find farm-fresh produce, cheese, proteins, pastries and flowers, which The Sheridan at Green Oaks residents can use to whip up meals in their full kitchens. There are also vendors selling homemade goods, like dog and cat treats, empanadas, jams and jellies. The farmers market also features special events, like cooking demonstrations, knife sharpening services and live music.
- Downtown Lake Bluff: Downtown Lake Bluff features a block of retail shops and offices that face the Lake Bluff Village Green. Wander downtown to find a bakery, a restaurant and local boutiques, which bring a bit of new and modern amenities to the charming historic village.
Lake Bluff also provides lots for architecture lovers to check out, as homes in the area span styles including Cottage, Craftsman, Queen Anne and Victorian. The Lake Bluff History Museum presents historical artifacts, photographs and exhibits that date back to the 1800s and provide context to the town’s establishment and growth.
A Look at Independent Living Programming at The Sheridan at Green Oaks
In addition to heading into town to enjoy services from a local business or attend a community event, residents at The Sheridan at Green Oaks can take advantage of a diverse schedule of programming at the residence. Independent living residents can join activities that allow them to learn new things or pursue their passions. Some of the kinds of programming offered at The Sheridan at Green Oaks include the following.
- Afternoon teas
- Arts and crafts classes
- Breathing exercise classes
- Bridge groups
- Card games
- Ceramics classes
- Chair yoga classes
- Comedy shows
- Cooking classes
- Current events discussions
- Flower arranging classes
- Gardening clubs
- Happy hours
- Idioms and synonyms games
- Live music
- Meditation programs
- Movie nights
- Poker and beer nights
- Religious services
- Resident birthday celebrations
- Resident town hall meetings
- Spa days
- Strength and rhythm classes
- Technology classes
- TED talks
- Therapy dog visits
- Trivia games
- Walking groups
- Wheel of Fortune games
- Word puzzles and coloring
The Sheridan at Green Oaks also offers off-site excursions, for outings like shopping trips and restaurant meals. At the residence, community members can use the art center, cards room, library, rehabilitation gym, courtyard and outdoor patio, walking path, pond, and spacious community rooms with TVs and DVDs.
There’s also a main dining room and a private dining room, where residents can enjoy chef-prepared meals with restaurant-style service every day. Residents can also get serviced at the on-site beauty salon and barber shop.
Right at home at The Sheridan at Green Oaks, residents have access to everything they need. Our caring and professional staff help residents do the activities they want, whether that’s at home or by heading into town. With Chicago around an hour’s drive away, there’s so much for Independent Living residents to do in the Lake Bluff area.
Visit The Sheridan at Green Oaks Independent Living Community
If you’d like to see what life at The Sheridan at Green Oaks is like, we invite you to stop in for a tour to see our space and what we offer residents. Find out more about Senior Lifestyle, or schedule a tour today.